Monday, December 6, 2010

The Old Man




Hemmingway's 'The Old Man And The Sea' was the last thing my grandfather gave me before he passed away years ago.

Only just now did I finally read it, and then I did this quick doodle (and since my doodles are in color now, I feel justified in uploading them!) Sort of to commemorate the occasion, and to continue to explore some new stylistic stuff in Photoshop, and to procrastinate, if I'm being perfectly honest (which one should always be on the internet :p). He's a bit...whiter...than he should be. Alas.

I also just read Blankets for the first time. Heavy stuff, all around.

-n

8 comments:

Cons Oroza said...

Nice sketch! I didn't read the Old Man and the Sea, but I did read Blankets, and it sure it's great!

albe said...

awesome nick! blankets was heavy for sure. did you ever read asterios polyp or stitches? totally unrelated to blankets or this post but they were both pretty stellar imho.

Unknown said...

Nice work Nick!
Blankets is great. I'm really looking forward to Craig Thompson's next book.
I have to second albe on giving Asterios Polyp a look.

Nicholas Kole said...

Thanks, guys! Nick & Albe: I had Asterios Polyp in my hands two days ago! I shoulda snagged it. It looks awesome, and now with actual recommendations how can I resist?

Emerson Tung said...

really nice dude. love the style and rendering. i think the only thing that bugs me is the cropping on the left.. kinda feels a little uncomfortable.

Enrique said...

I am LOVIN your style of art dude. Really

Flo Minowa said...

Oh my goodness, I just read this book this month. Oh I love your rendition! The expression, the tones, and the overall style are so lovely!

Michel Turner said...

1
2
3
4
5
6